Thursday, August 28, 2008

She may not be pretty…

Ta da! My very own press. Sort of. After months of sitting in pieces at the foot of my bed, I finally put my tabletop press together (design courtesy of ReadyMade, construction/elbow grease courtesy of Mom.) In case you don't already know, I'm slightly obsessed with letterpress printing (think of my Christmas cards.) Quality/affordable presses are hard to come by, so last winter Mom helped me (re: I watched her) make a tabletop press to call my own. I'm waiting on an ink shipment right now, but I'm excited to run some prints soon.

Vandercook Press; C&P Pilot Presses

I'm not sure how she'll compare to the real deal, but until I have enough space/money for one of these, she'll have to do!

2 comments:

Chrisolux said...

Neato, how do you make the plates and stuff?

abby :: tfp said...

For this type of press, 'plastic-backed photopolymer plates' are suggested (check out boxcarpress.com, $.62/sq. inch)

I quickly tried out the plates I had made when I printed my Christmas cards - they seem to work as well. I ordered those from owossographics.com. They're slightly more expensive, but are a bit more substantial. Check out praxiumpress.com - a great Atlanta letterpress resource.

In both cases, plates can be made from pretty much any vector artwork - you simply upload your files and ta da! Your very own plates.


Hopefully this makes sense…I'll post some images when I get it all rolling!